Thursday, October 14, 2010

Classmates' blogs.


           As my blog focus’ on the social media I find it interesting and fun to look at classmates blogs with similar topics and focus’ to hear different perspectives and thoughts. One main similiarity I found across the blogs of my fellow classmates, was the question of ethics. No matter what their topic or blogs focus almost all questioned the ethics.
           
          I find that the social media side of PR contributes a lot to unobtrusive research, which we focused on last week. Checking out other students blog I found a similarity with Francesca’s blog.  She also focused particularly on the twitter and facebook medium that celebrities so often update and expose. She argued, as I did, that when you do go on these websites and check out what everyone (your fave celebs) are up to, you are conducting unobtrusive research because they do not know. Interesting how we don’t even think twice before ultimately “stalking” people by looking at their webpage without them knowing you know what they are up to. This leads me into thoughts on ethics side.

         I also seem to find in interest in the ethics that accompany most aspects of the PR world, but mainly on our recent topic of unobtrusive research. Kelley's blog actually focus’ directly on the ethics in PR so I was interested in reading her take on unobtrusive research as a whole and apply it to my blog. I agree with Kelley that sometimes studies can go a little to far, crossing the ling of ethics in some studies if the participants do not know. Kelley touched on the violation of ethics in research which I agree with, and this is what the social media often takes part in. With celebraties and wanting to know about what is going on in their lives and going to far extents to get a picture or information is often invading their privacy. In our world today the media world has to be careful with performing studies and keeping an ethical balance so there isn’t an uproar in the media or issues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment