Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Looking at Classmates Blogs



This weeks blog allows me to think outside of my own ideas and views and read some of my classmates. This is a fun way to read about my classmates interests, through their views and opinions. I have decided to not read blogs that are not about my directed topic of PR and the social media. 
                        This first blog I found interesting was by Jess Abreu and her blog about the athletic side of PR. In Jess’s last blog she discusses the NFL Research results leading to the start of Monday Night Football which is so widely popular today. I did not know the background on Monday night football and all the big hype about it. Interestingly enough the start of Monday night football started as a research project in the 1960’s. The initiative to get more people to watch football, and have more days of football sparked the Monday night football phenomenon. 1970 was the first year television aired Monday night football which has only strengthened our entertainment in society. The number of viewers of the football is through the roof, leading to advertising and marketing advantages in the media.
All the television watchers of football on Monday nights does relate to my blogs focus of the social media and its impact.

The second blog I read about was Research Results by Mallory. We are learning all about research in the PR field and I feel that the results and how they are utilized is very important and a difficult stage. In our fast changing world today we see new technologies and new improvements everyday. All these “new” aspects need research done. Change does not happen in the PR industry without clear results. Mallory’s blog discusses the NHL’s changes being tested to see different variations of the game. This is a prime example of research and its use for results in the industry. This blog outlines the trial and error strategies at the NHL camp, before the next season arrives. This allows the reseachers (being referees and officials) enough time to decide if they should accept the changes or keep the game the same. These decisions would not happen without the proper results that were gathered through their testing.
            In my personal blog I discuss the importance of research and how there are different parts to the media world that incorporates lots of research. However the blogs that I read about the sports world and their use of research was a different spin on the research industry. With trial and error strategies like Mallory discussed through the NHL camps, and the history behind Monday night football from Jess, we all come to the conclusion of how important yet different research can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment